Tuesday, June 12, 2012

To Kill, or not To Kill

I have a dilemma.

I know that sometimes "you must kill your darlings." And, I'm not the squeamish sort, but I'm having a really hard time deciding whether or not to do away with one of my characters. The problem is, I find reasons for him to be there. I can also see him "not there," at least not physically in the scenes.

This issue has been rumbling in my head for a couple of weeks now. Why is this so hard?

Help!

I've put this question to a few of my literary friends. It's a mixed bag of answers, mostly the pros and cons are even. It feels a little like a tug-of-war.

Keep him.......no, don't keep him....ugh! That flag in the middle doesn't budge.

I'm going to have to sleep on this one more night. Tomorrow, I have a big decision to make and make it I must. I'm at a point where the rewrite won't be horrendous if I do it now.

Tune in next Tuesday to find out. Did he face the gallows, or get a reprieve?





Hmmm, there's also a lovely butcher knife in my kitchen dr....







Bwahahahahahahahahahah











1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the character you are talking about and I think you should keep him. I feel you can expand on his role and then he will become important to the story. Don't give up on him!